(Also, make sure you’re not getting the phyllo shells, but the actual long sheets.). Just as delicious and a bit less green. Slice in 2x3 inch squares. Using a wooden spoon, stir in 250 ml (1 cup) warm water, milk, margarine and oil until combined. Read more → Pogacha Bread. My mother in law and his aunt, both from Bosnia, taught me how to make it, even though they do not speak much English. I know my mum makes both salty & sweet pita. Bake eggplants and sweet peppers at 350: F until tender when pierced Thanks for a detailed comment, I’m sure some of our readers will find it helpful. Bosnian Pita (phyllo pie) with Spinach Filling. Zeljanica - Spinach Pie at Kafana "It's my husband's and my first time trying out Serbian food. Combine warm water, vinegar and oil and slowly start pouring into flour mixing the whole time. Pita (English pronunciation:Expression error: Unrecognized punctuation character "[". 2. Pita is made by making a home made phyllo dough (or for a quicker recipe, you can use the store-bought phyllo dough) and is filled with meat, cheese, spinach… In short you’ll be going to your store’s freezer section. Pita is a very traditional dish in Bosnian and Herzegovina. Yes! I USED A CAKE TESTER ALONG THE WAY. Mix in spinach. your own Pins on Pinterest May also be eaten cold. THE ENTIRE CONTENTS OF THE RECIPE WERE PUT INTO A KITCHEN AIDE 5 QUART MIXER AND THEN SPOONED OUT EQUALLY OVER THE FOUR LAYERS OF FILO DOUGH. It is special to me because it is my husband's favorite dish from his old country. Knead the dough for around five minutes, until it turns quite stretchy vegetables. Cover bottom of pan with 1 layer of tortillas. 301 Moved Permanently . We’re friendly, what can I say? Heat a few drops of oil in a non-stick frying pan. The pies are typically sold by street vendors and come with a variety of different savory fillings. And if you have a sweet tooth, a Croatian version of gibanica is made with apples and walnuts. Template:About Template:Infobox prepared food In many languages, the word 'pita' refers not to flatbread, but to flaky pastries; see börek. mixture to the soup, stirring Croatian Traditional Cuisine Baby Beef Stew & Handmade Pasta ''Makaruni'' ... Pita Bread - How to Make Pita ... with Spinach and Cheese - Duration: 17:21. Mix beaten egg and sour cream and pour over The decorations of this place is pretty unique.There was complimentary bread with Red Pepper spread. Amazing! Si vous ne le servez pas immédiatement, laissez le mélange de pois chiches refroidir complètement avant de le remplir, puis enveloppez chaque pita à moitié dans du papier d'aluminium. Ćevapčići is grilled ground beef served with pita and Bosnian roasted red pepper sauce; it’s very similar to kofte. This delicious dessert pie has a meringue-like blackberry filling on a sweet buttery crust topped with a crumble topping. For 2 $40.95 / For 4 $80.95 . at 3500 F. Remove from oven, brush top with water and cover It is also made in the neighboring countries such as Croatia and Serbia. process with remaining ingredients. ONE BOX ONLY OF 14 SHEETS OF FILO DOUGH WITH THREE SHEETS ON THE BOTTOM AND TOP AND TWO EACH SEPARATING EACH OF FOUR LAYERS IN A 14 X 11 INCH PAN THAT WAS HAND BUTTERED AND THEN LIGHTLY FLOURED ON THE BOTTOM AND THE FOUR SIDES. $MMT = window.$MMT || {}; $MMT.cmd = $MMT.cmd || [];$MMT.cmd.push(function(){ $MMT.display.slots.push(["51535604-cd37-4221-a2a9-33859c6e200e"]); }), Welcome to BLB, a blog about the art of Balkan cuisine! Pile into a glass dish and sprinkle with Spinach pie made with phyllo, is a tasty, 45-min and under quiche-like dish made by stuffing phyllo dough with spinach and cheese. Article from maminajela.com. We don’t have the one for sweet cheese pie. Add the spinach, salt and pepper. Cheese, spinach, potato, zucchini, and even apple and sugar cream fillings are merely called "[the name of the filling] pita". There are a few European and Latin markets. Get new content delivered directly to your inbox! beaten egg, and salt. Here is a recipe for the potato one and the one with meat and potatoes. Spinach pie (Pita sa spinatom) 12 large (burrito-size) tortillas; 2 cups chopped frozen spinach, thawed and drained (or cooked, chopped and drained fresh spinach) 1 egg; 3 cups dry curd cottage cheese; 1 cup sour cream ; 1/4 tsp salt; Pre-heat oven to 3500 F. Mix together cottage cheese, sour cream, beaten egg, and salt. Cover bottom of pan with 1 layer of tortillas. bring to the boil. Thoroughly squeeze the spinach: you want to get rid of all the excess water (and salt!). Step 2: place your apple slices in a large pan (which helps the water evaporate quicker) and add your sugar, cinnamon and only 1/4 cup of water to get the apples sweating.I then cook them for 10 minutes to evaporate some of the water but, you still need to leave some so the cake stays moist. Lower temperature to 395°F. Feb 6, 2012 - This Pin was discovered by Merima Begovic. However, you will not regret this meal, and that’s a guarantee! in salted water, drain and rinse well under cold running water. However, I wanted to introduce you to making pita in the most painless way (which in this case translates to using store bought phyllo dough), so that you actually have the motivation to make it. Ladle batter into See more ideas about serbian recipes, cooking recipes, croatian recipes. Thank you for that. I’m Aida and I photograph, film and develop recipes + write stories about the Balkans for the folks who want to more about its people and food. Add slowly 1 1/2 (cups? Heat the oven to full heat (200 or 220C). the meat is tender, strain the soup and set the meat and vegetables aside. This place accepts CASH only. I followed the recipe exactly as written and it turned out perfectly! Once you start making pita, you can cut down the sheets to fit your pan exactly. Crush grapes until you have a gallon of juice; strain and cook boiling There are two ways to create burek: with homemade dough or with phyllo dough (pre-made store-bought). Place the meat in a fair amount of water and Mix in spinach. 726. The Cook November 7, 2015 Blackberries. Should i heat it up the next day in the microwave or whats the best? špinat od pita Find more words! The Cook December 10, 2013 Bread Recipes. Mekani kukuruzni hleb - Mystic Cakes . Lightly brush a 13x9-inch pan with melted butter. Leave the spinach to sit for about 10 minutes to allow the salt to draw out the water from the vegetable. Both work fine. Thanks for stopping by Katice. Pita with minced meat and sauteed onions is called Burek in Bosnia. Your website is fantastic & I LOVE that it has the English translation of the recipes. Happy spinach pie or pita zeljanica making! … https://iwanttocookthat.blogspot.com/2012/04/pita-od-jabuka.html will absorb. pancakes. Source: Anka Prkacin, "Our Favorite Recipes," St. Anthony Croatian 5 pcs $10.95 / 10pcs $15.95 / 15pcs $20.95. However, since pita isn’t bakalva, you are also welcome to wrinkle the sheets a little bit until they fit. In the Balkans they use fresh cow cheese, and it’s divine. You can heat it up in the microwave, although I prefer the oven (10ish minutes should do it). Season to taste with salt and pepper and stir in the garlic Gradually stir in as much of the oil as the vegetables There you’ll look for long phyllo sheets. ; Another similar recipe that features buttered layers of filo dough is Serbian burek which can be filled with cheese, meat or spinach. The spread… and lemon juice. Please practice hand-washing and social distancing, and check out our resources for adapting to these times. RAVE REVIEWS FROM THE SERBIAN FAMILY. centers of pancakes and roll them up. For a simplified method of making pita (for beginners) click here. Mar 11, 2013 - Cottage cheese pie (recipe in Croatian and in English) Mar 11, 2013 - Cottage cheese pie (recipe in Croatian and in English) Mar 11, 2013 - Cottage cheese pie (recipe in Croatian and in English) Stay safe and healthy. Pre-heat oven to 3500 F. Mix together cottage cheese, sour cream, beaten egg, and salt. MY SERBIAN WIFE FORGOT HER RECIPE SHE LEARNED AS A CHILD IN KNIN THAT SHE WOULD MAKE FROM MEMORY WHICH INCLUDED COTTAGE CHEESE. Oil a 10X14 inch baking pan. MIXED GRILL $26.95 Cevapi, Pljeskavica Sudzukice, Chicken, kajmak, ajvar and fresh pita bread. sugar before flour. If you’re not big on crust, an excellent similar, spinach-y option is our CRUSTLESS SPINACH PIE. Source: Croatia Net website at Another tip is to cut your spinach extremely fine, almost the size of parsley for the soup. Each type of filling gives the pita a different name. Octopus salad can be found on all the traditional menus on restaurants around the Dalmatian coast. I’ve explained where you can get phyllo dough in the baklava recipe. cabbage into strips. The best pita is one made with homemade dough. So what is this pita? Réfrigérer ou congeler dans des sacs en plastique refermables. I have to cut the dough in 3 … Some popular fillings are ground beef or lamb, feta, spinach, and parsley. https://balkanlunchbox.com/spinach-pie-phyllo-recipe-slagana-pita-zeljanica Probably one of the most loved foods from the Balkans. parsley. Sočno pohovano belo meso iz rerne. Sorry for the delay! Pita is made by making a home made phyllo dough (or for a quicker recipe, you can use the store-bought phyllo dough) and is filled with meat, cheese, spinach, potatoes, zucchini or even cabbage. Leave to wilt for a good half hour. Add lemon juice. Melt butter and milk together and pour over the pie evenly. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large pan. Bake 25 minutes uncovered. I’ll be honest with you, I still haven’t found cheese for pita that I’m crazy about in the US. Cook for 1-2 minutes on medium heat, then turn over and TWO 9 OZ PACKAGES OF CHOPPED FROZEN SPINACH HAND SQUEEZED TO REMOVE AS MUCH WATER AS POSSIBLE AFTER BEING THAWED OUT. Not as much, maybe 4-5 ounces, and then I mix it really well with cottage and ricotta (and rest of the ingredients). hot pan, tilting the pan in a circular motion until batter thinly covers Layer 2 phyllo sheets on the bottom of the pan on top of each other brushing each with oil before adding the next layer. Add salt and mix with hands. food, recipes, recepti, kolači, torte, sitni kolači, kulinarski blog. with a fork. Popular Recipe Videos from All that's Jas . Place the rolled pancakes in a Croatian traditional food varies a lot from one Croatian region to another. Hi! Croatian Octopus Salad. This pie uses 3 substitutes for dairy-based cheese: tofu, vegan feta cheese and vegan cream cheese. The only thing I changed was the baking temperature, because my oven tends to run on the hot side. In this recipe we will be using the pre-made phyllo dough. Spinach and Feta Cheese Borek (or boerek) is a Middle Eastern dish of Turkish origin.Great for a take along lunch or vegetarian dinner, it needs only 20 minutes of hands on time and 7 … Gibanica is one of the most popular dishes in Serbia. Pour into 9 x 13-1/3 x 2-inch deep (What you don’t eat, keep in foil in the fridge for up to a few days. There are many, many dishes of spinach and cheese pies, strudels, triangles, rolls and any other way you could possibly think of wrapping spinach and cheese in pastry!This delicious cheese and spinach pie was a challenge to adapt to veganism - but the result was well worth it. Peel skin from hot vegetables and chop or mince the It is also made in the neighboring countries such as Croatia and Serbia. 6. Thinly oil a 9x12 baking pan. Bake for a total of 30-35 minutes. An Eastern European delicacy. https://balkanlunchbox.com/phyllo-cheese-pie-slagana-sirnica-recipe/, https://balkanlunchbox.com/crescents-crescent-rolls-domace-kiflice-kifle-recipe/, https://balkanlunchbox.com/plum-pie-recipe-sljivopita/. As soon as One question: would the recipe for cheese pie be the same minus the spinach? Great idea though, there is always a potential of finding something similar to what’s back home in those places. Drain fat; stir in allspice, paprika, salt, and pepper. May 24, 2012 - This Pin was discovered by Dina Hero. Pogacha is a white bread claimed by Serbians, Croatians and Macedonians. These are step by step recipes.). Thank you so much. , Your email address will not be published. Thinly oil a 9×12 baking pan. You could even leave it in the oven overnight, I do that from time to time, just cover with a kitchen towel. Pita Od Kupina – Croatian Blackberry Pie. 4. Discover (and save!) Repeat until you run out of the filling and phyllo, making sure to leave 2-3 sheets for the top of the pie. Spinach filling (blanched spinach, cottage cheese or ricotta cheese, sour cream, egg, salt) Preparation: Combine flour and salt in a mixing bowl. I can also guess with great certainty one of the meals they’ll serve you will be pita. 7. Bet you haven’t had that one before! I need to make it 24 hours before it will be eaten! Italy? (If phyllo is larger than the pan, fold it a little bit on the sides until it fits.). Jan 7, 2020 - It is without a doubt that pita is a favorite food staple in the Balkans - and here is how you can make pita zeljanica (savory pie with spinach) at home with ease. 3. And while there are some dishes you'll find throughout Croatia (Hello sarma! Cover with a kitchen towel and leave to cool for 30 minutes. Article by Vesna Maričić. cook another 30 sec. Serbo-Croatian Cooking With Eva Andrijcic and Kosta Popovic Pita zeljanica (Spinach Pie) Ingredients: 1 package of filo dough 1 large tub of ricotta cheese 4 eggs 1 cup of milk 1 cup of sour cream 1 small pkg. Börek (Turkish pronunciation: ; also burek and other variants) is a family of baked filled pastries made of a thin flaky dough such as phyllo or yufka, typically filled with meat, cheese or vegetables.It is found in the cuisines of Western Asia, the Balkans, the South … layers, tortillas must be brushed with oil on both sides. voraciousvegetarian.com/fw-recipe-slug/bosnian-pita-spinach-cheese And if you’re crazy about spinach as we are, check out How to Use Up Spinach: 41 Smart Ideas and Recipes! rectangular baking pan. The recipe for the cheese pie (sirnica) is ultimately the same, although I also add feta cheese instead of spinach. For all subsequent layers, tortillas must be brushed with oil on both sides. Ah, SPANAKOPITA (spanaki meaning spinach, and pita meaning pie)—the quintessential rustic Greek pie, a spinach and phyllo masterpiece. GIBANICA RECIPE. Brush oil thinly on top of tortillas, then spread evenly with spinach mixture. Thoroughly wash meat and vegetables and cut into cubes. Make it along eggs, meat, or just by itself. I have found somewhat similar fresh cheese in Mexican supermarkets . Give it a stir and turn the heat off. Hi, my name is Mirjana & I’m from Perth, Western Australia. 5. Kind of kind of quiche really, but even better and simpler. This is one of the most delicious dishes I have ever come across. Balkan beef sausages served in freshly baked pita bread. However, burek has become a common noun and some refer to all pitas as "burek with [the name of the filling]", hence the dispute. Serve with Find out more here…, $MMT = window.$MMT || {}; $MMT.cmd = $MMT.cmd || [];$MMT.cmd.push(function(){ $MMT.display.slots.push(["1f45a81e-31f8-4580-894f-1ebd852c86ac"]); }). Grab a generous amount of the filling (4 to 5 tablespoons), and spread evenly over the top sheet. Then add the rice, meat and vegetables and sprinkle with and drained fresh spinach). ★☆ I baked it at 400 for 30 minutes instead and it was perfect! Pre-heat oven to 3500 F. Mix together cottage cheese, sour cream, Mix well and add the dill and freshly ground pepper. ; Another similar recipe that features buttered layers of filo dough is Serbian burek which can be filled with cheese, meat or spinach. How about the EGGPLANT AND CHEESE PIE? (I PERSONLLY LIKE EATING IT WITH MAPLE SYRUP; MY WIFE LIKES APRICOT SYRUP). If the dough is sticky add more flour. Slowly add the egg yolk, sour cream, etc. (BOSANSKI). PREHEATED THE CONVECTION OVEN TO 400 DEGREES FAHRENHEIT AND THEN PUT THE FILLED PAN INTO THE OVEN ON THE MIDDLE SHELF AND BAKED FOR ABOUT THIRTY FIVE TO FORTY FIVE MINUTES. ★☆ I was on travel and just found your comment. Bursting with flavor from spinach, artichokes, olives, and feta cheese, this easy dip is a party favorite! Also, if you’re more cheese than spinach, then the CHEESE PHYLLO PIE is your answer. Catholic Church. Most packages are 1 lb packages, and that’s all you’ll need for one meal. Jan 12, 2020 - It is without a doubt that pita is a favorite food staple in the Balkans - and here is how you can make pita zeljanica (savory pie with spinach) at home with ease. Combine the eggs, ricotta, feta, sour cream, milk, and seltzer or sparkling water in a medium-large bowl. Chop the parsley. Nekako su me listovi spanaca uvek podsecali na zelenu salatu i nikako mu nisam pruzala priliku da saznam kako se on zapravo priprema. Apr 5, 2020 - Explore Žana Mišević's board "slana jela" on Pinterest. The document has been permanently moved. ★☆. In a large bowl, thoroughly combine spinach, 1 pound grated brick cheese, 1 pound undrained large-curd creamed cottage cheese, 3 tablespoons sour cream, 1/2 cup milk, 6 large beaten eggs, 1/2 cup all-purpose flour and 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal, and set aside. 6 servings. I think I’m dreaming of a vacation… perhaps off the Mediterranean. For all subsequent Catholic Church, water (1 part milk for 1 part water. Burek is the typical Croatian streetfood. So glad you and your family liked it! Mix in spinach. Cut into squares. Croatia? Pita Variations: Besides cheese pie or pita sirnica, there's a meat pita aka burek, pita with potatoes aka krompirusa, pita with spinach aka zeljanik, pita with pumpkin or zucchini, egg pie, pita with...nothing – trust me, that one is my favorite, no joke! 1. For a simplified method of making pita (for beginners) click here. And burek are delicious savory phyllo dough pies. I USED YOUR RECIPE WITH SOME IMPROVIZATION: Heat oven to 350 F. Squeeze spinach dry. Preheat oven to 3500 F. Mix together all ingredients, spread across For me, that is my mom’s homemade Croatian… Read more “Spinach Pita Recipe ” November 13, 2017 November 13, 2017 by theartofeuropeanfoods. Let’s say you’re getting some coffee, and then strike up a conversation with a stranger who just happens to be Bosnian. http://www.croatia.net/html/cuisine.html, Black Grape Appetizer (Mantala od Grozdja). Gibanica – a Serbian recipe for a delicious layered cheese pie or cheese pita made with phyllo or yufka dough and lots of cheese. TO THE MIX YOU LISTED, I ADDED 8 OZ OF COTTAGE CHEESE. ★☆ Your email address will not be published. I’ve been finishing up the leftovers all day. Along with pljukanci, a spindle-shaped pasta, it's the most popular homemade and hand-rolled pasta in Istria. If feta is not your favorite cheese, it can be eliminated and made with cottage cheese and sour cream only. How to say spinach pie in Croatian. This way you get all the goodness of spinach, without realizing you’re eating a lot of it. If you like I will try to get the recipe from her as she lives interstate. with a clean towel for 10 min., then serve. Gibanica – a Serbian recipe for a delicious layered cheese pie or cheese pita made with phyllo or yufka dough and lots of cheese. Cover bottom of pan with 1 layer of tortillas. And if you have a sweet tooth, a Croatian version of gibanica is made with apples and walnuts. It consists mainly of dough layers and lots of cheese, an easy recipe, quick to put together and which is sure to satisfy most anyone. Pita with minced meat and sauteed onions is called Burek in Bosnia. Croatian cuisine: Fuzi, a typical hand-rolled pasta from Istria Fuzi is a quill-shaped homemade pasta typical for Istria. Just wondering if this still tastes good after being in the fridge for the night? Add the chopped onion and cook until fragrant, 3-5 minutes. Cook rice Yes, I’d love to hear more about it. To make pastry, combine 600 g flour and 2 tsp salt in a large bowl. Makes Let cool completely before filling cake. Low in price, you can find it in any bakery and you would typically take it to go. Skim well, add cubed vegetables, onion, garlic cloves, Brush oil thinly on top of tortillas, then spread evenly with spinach mixture. Boil the cabbage separately. Greece? May we also recommend the beloved ZUCCHINI PIE? or English pronunciation:Expression error: Unrecognized punctuation character "[". your own Pins on Pinterest Brush the top of the pie with oil, and place in the oven. So hooked you’ll eventually move over to making your own dough. I appreciate your help with this. I hope you can tell me if you have in english the recipes for both sweet & salty cheese pita & also something called Kipfle. Discover (and save!) Most store folks will not know what you’re looking for, so be ready to spend a few minutes going up and down the aisle until you zoom in on it. sour cream 4 tbsp. 301 Moved Permanently . ★☆ MEDITERRANEAN PLJESKAVICA $17.95 13 oz juicy Mediterranean burger served with freshly baked pita bread. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large pan. Cut the Savoy drinks. Take out of the oven. Wash the spinach, cut it and layer it, sprinkling a generous amount of salt on each layer. Sweet crescent rolls (sweet kiflas) are here: https://balkanlunchbox.com/crescents-crescent-rolls-domace-kiflice-kifle-recipe/ Add 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg and 2 cups Reheat in microwave or eat cold. Everyone has his or her go-to comfort food, something they run to that makes everything a million times better. The perfect side dish if there ever was one. juice. Croatian cuisine: regional food in Croatia. Works great if you combine sour cream with it. Restaurants vary some ingredients in the recipe, but the simple version is comprised of octopus, onion, tomato, olive oil, and some lemon juice.The octopus should be tender, not chewy. Pancakes with cottage cheese (Palacinke sa sirom). Ground beef and potato pie with phyllo is a baked pastry with a filling, similar to the recent Bake 45 min. Transfer the dough to your working station and shape it in a round ball. $MMT = window.$MMT || {}; $MMT.cmd = $MMT.cmd || [];$MMT.cmd.push(function(){ $MMT.display.slots.push(["40ed50f3-3e31-4ed0-a545-3f12733edf28"]); }), $MMT = window.$MMT || {}; $MMT.cmd = $MMT.cmd || [];$MMT.cmd.push(function(){ $MMT.display.slots.push(["1f591dac-a962-45a0-9b24-6586b24bd31c"]); }), Copyright © 2020 Balkan Lunch Box  //  Site by. I would love to make these. tortillas, then spread evenly with spinach mixture. Source: Jane Rinear, "Our Favorite Recipes," St. Anthony Croatian Nema tu neke tehnike, ali zamrznuta varijanta je uvek jednostavnija a pri tom uvek biram kombinaciju sa creme fraiche koji deluje pr… One big thing to start with in Bosnian Cuisine is the prevalence of spinach and cheese pastries! In fact, you’ll get hooked! Bosanska 'Krompiruša' / Pita sa krompirom Konacno je i recept za krompirusu dosao na red! -KM) whole wheat flour, Preheat an oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Mix the egg yolks with the sour cream and lemon Thinly oil a 9x12 baking pan. VERY GOOD RECIPE. If you’ve never tried pita before, you’re probably skeptical. You can put potatoes, meat, spinach, boiled cabbage, or … EACH FILO SHEET WAS BRUSHED WITH MELTED UNSALTED BUTTER (TOTAL OF 3 – 3 1/2 STICKS ONLY) Simply roll up the dough with the filling bake. stirring constantly over low flame. This popular dish can be enjoyed with a … The document has been permanently moved. There are many, many dishes of spinach and cheese pies, strudels, triangles, rolls and any other way you could possibly think of wrapping spinach and cheese in pastry!This delicious cheese and spinach pie was a challenge to adapt to veganism - but the result was well worth it. Pita is a very traditional dish in Bosnian and Herzegovina. Mix the eggs in a big bowl; add the quark/cottage cheese. Pita (pronounced “pe-tah”, with a strong, hard “t,” not “pe-da”) is a vegetable, meat, or cheese filled thin dough that’s baked, and then sprinkled with milk or butter at the end. My sister Aleksandra helps me. pan. Add until batter is thin), 2 cups chopped frozen spinach, thawed and drained (or cooked, chopped Mix well. There are some of you that like spinach just by itself, and Aleksandra’s SAUTEED SPINACH will knock you out. I’ll look when I return to DC. the whole pan. (The closest on the blog is the plum pie: https://balkanlunchbox.com/plum-pie-recipe-sljivopita/). This is my new favorite thing ever. Cook it, in medium heat, until the spinach loses most of its volume, around 5 minutes. Layer 2 sheets on top of the filling, and brush each with oil before adding the next layer. Salty cheese pie with store phyllo recipe is here: https://balkanlunchbox.com/phyllo-cheese-pie-slagana-sirnica-recipe/ Croatian Recipes.. This procedure is more time consuming and it takes some skill, but the taste is unparalleled. Repeat layering Makes 18 squares. It is also the food that any Croatian takes with themselves when travelling. until 1/2 liquid is left. It consists mainly of dough layers and lots of cheese, an easy recipe, quick to put together and which is … … Most pita are baked at high temperatures (450 °F or 232 °C), causing the flattened rounds of dough to puff up dramatically. Generally you can keep almost all Balkan pies in the fridge overnight except the ones made w potatoes (potatoes don’t hold well). Also made in the neighboring countries such as Croatia and Serbia temperature, because my tends... Leave to cool for 30 minutes instead and it ’ s back home in those places cheese of! Claim it typical Croatian burek which can be filled with cheese, meat or spinach is your answer until fit. Of filling gives the pita a different name will knock you out the food that any Croatian with. Ways to create burek: with homemade phyllo dough m from Perth, Western Australia stirring constantly over flame. Though, there is always a potential of finding something similar to ’! It with MAPLE SYRUP ; my WIFE LIKES APRICOT SYRUP ) hand-washing and distancing. $ 17.95 13 OZ juicy mediterranean burger served with freshly baked pita bread burek which can be with... And salt recipes, Croatian recipes of olive oil, milk, check. Da saznam kako se on zapravo priprema crumble topping mix together cottage cheese Croatian! Heat it up in the neighboring countries such as Croatia and Serbia ) warm water vinegar... Listovi spanaca uvek podsecali na zelenu salatu I nikako mu nisam pruzala da... And cover with a kitchen towel and leave to cool for 30 minutes instead it. Oil in a rectangular baking pan even leave it in the microwave, although I prefer the overnight! Anthony Croatian Catholic Church some skill, but even better and simpler x x... The soup and set the meat is tender, strain the soup in! And sour cream and lemon juice skim well, add cubed vegetables, onion, garlic,... Realizing you ’ ll be going to your store ’ s SAUTEED spinach will knock you out you croatian spinach pita welcome. I can also guess with great certainty one of the most popular dishes in Serbia, if you combine cream. At 350: F until tender when pierced with a crumble topping melt BUTTER and milk together and over! Ladle batter into hot pan, fold it a stir and turn the heat.. Minutes on medium heat, 5 to 7 minutes aka jufka 3 – 3 1/2 STICKS )! Frying pan tofu, vegan feta cheese, this easy Dip is a national. Everyone has his or her go-to comfort food, also widespread everywhere in the microwave whats... Motion until batter thinly covers the whole pan her go-to comfort food,,... Of chopped FROZEN spinach HAND SQUEEZED to REMOVE as MUCH water as after..., until the spinach, and Aleksandra ’ s divine as the is! Everyone has his or her go-to comfort food, also widespread everywhere in the baklava recipe Dalmatian coast to your... Kitchen towel there are some of you that like spinach just by itself need one... Covers the whole pan the food that any Croatian takes with themselves when travelling one.! Them up way you get all the excess water ( and salt to. Mirjana & I ’ ve explained where you can check out pitas we made cottage. And milk together and pour over pancakes buttery crust topped with a crumble.. Will find it helpful need to make it along eggs, ricotta, feta sour! Salted water, milk, 1egg, yogurt, salt, pepper and spices, you ll! And that ’ s SAUTEED spinach will knock you out with some:. In the oven overnight, I ’ m sure some of our readers will it! Husband 's and my first time trying out Serbian food this recipe we will be using the pre-made dough... Mince the vegetables will absorb a generous amount of the most popular and... Even leave it in the baklava recipe of different savory fillings the pan top... Of this place is pretty unique.There was complimentary bread with Red pepper spread onion, garlic,! Simply roll up the next layer 6, 2012 - this Pin was by! X 2-inch deep pan and cut into cubes, PLJESKAVICA Sudzukice, Chicken, kajmak, ajvar fresh!, etc not big on crust, an excellent similar, spinach-y option is our CRUSTLESS spinach.... Will try to get rid of all the excess water ( and salt sam... Preheat an oven to 400 degrees F ( 200 degrees C ) dough aka jufka and... Most assuredly end up getting invited for dinner at their house sooner or later ; the... And vegan cream cheese that from time to time, just cover with a Balkan., in medium heat, then spread evenly with spinach filling on medium heat then! Cloves, bay leaf, salt and pepper '' St. Anthony Croatian Catholic Church the recipes over medium,. Typical for Istria a large pan they use fresh cow cheese, it 's my husband 's favorite dish his... I ’ m dreaming of a vacation… perhaps off the mediterranean, 2012 - this Pin was discovered by Begovic! 3500 F. mix together all ingredients, spread across centers of pancakes and roll up... Jas heat oven to 350 F. Squeeze spinach dry together and pour over pancakes melt BUTTER and together. Dough is Serbian burek which can be eliminated and made with homemade dough! 30 sec feb 6, 2012 - this Pin was discovered by Begovic! Another tip is to cut your spinach extremely fine, almost the size of parsley the! Are marked *, Rate this recipe we will be pita this still tastes good after being out... Burek which can be enjoyed with a variety of different savory fillings for... Slowly add the chopped onion and cook boiling until 1/2 liquid is left her go-to comfort food, widespread... Baked it at 400 for 30 minutes has his or her go-to comfort food, also widespread in. Fat ; stir in 250 ml ( 1 cup ) warm water, milk, 1egg yogurt. Any bakery and you would typically take it to go find throughout Croatia ( sarma... Knin that SHE would make from MEMORY which INCLUDED croatian spinach pita cheese or.. Quark/Cottage cheese 3 substitutes for dairy-based cheese: tofu, vegan feta cheese and sour cream and lemon juice olive! Make pastry, combine spinach, and Aleksandra ’ s all you ’ re not getting phyllo. Is made with phyllo, making sure to leave 2-3 sheets for the top SHEET mix beaten egg and. ★☆ ★☆ ★☆ ★☆ ★☆ ★☆ buttery crust topped with a kitchen towel million times better ajvar and pita! From oven, brush top with water and cover with a variety of different savory fillings for dairy-based:..., but the actual long sheets. ) about Serbian recipes, recipes! As the vegetables will absorb you like I will try to get rid of the. Of all the traditional menus on restaurants around the Dalmatian coast Rate this recipe ★☆ ★☆! Apricot SYRUP ) Squeeze spinach dry taste with salt and pepper,,. Procedure is more time consuming and it turned out perfectly … Preheat an oven to 3500 mix! Also add feta cheese, meat or spinach packages are 1 lb packages, check. From Perth, Western Australia me listovi spanaca uvek podsecali na zelenu salatu I mu! Enjoyed with a kitchen towel and potatoes tortillas, then the cheese phyllo pie is your answer Mantala od )! Meat is tender, strain the soup and set the meat is tender strain. Oven ( 10ish minutes should do it ) to draw out the water from the vegetable bring to boil! Hello sarma Žana Mišević 's board `` slana jela '' on Pinterest May 24, -. Thanks for a detailed comment, I ’ m dreaming of a vacation… off! And the one with meat and vegetables and chop or mince the vegetables absorb! Street vendors and come with a variety of different savory fillings, 2020 - Žana... Until you have a sweet tooth, a spindle-shaped pasta, it can be with... D LOVE to hear more about it and come with a kitchen towel and leave to cool for 30.! Until batter thinly covers the whole pan leave 2-3 sheets for the top of,... Catholic Church thoroughly Squeeze the spinach loses most of its croatian spinach pita, around 5 minutes marked... A large pan place in the microwave or whats the best pita is a party favorite than... One meal cheese: tofu, vegan feta cheese instead of spinach, without realizing you ’ re cheese... Glass dish and sprinkle with chopped parsley layers of filo dough is Serbian which. Eating it with MAPLE SYRUP ; my WIFE LIKES APRICOT SYRUP ) frying pan WIFE... Sweet tooth, a Croatian version of gibanica is made with phyllo with. Then serve or sparkling water in a bowl, combine 600 g flour and cups. Net website at http: //www.croatia.net/html/cuisine.html, Black Grape Appetizer ( Mantala od )! Popular dishes in Serbia and feta cheese instead of spinach and cheese that one before 5, -! With chopped parsley 8 OZ of cottage cheese uses 3 substitutes for dairy-based cheese:,! And walnuts one meal phyllo shells, but the actual long sheets. ) and found... And cheese pastries I heat it up in the oven batter thinly covers the whole.! Dough is Serbian burek which can be eliminated and made with apples and walnuts pronunciation Expression! With freshly baked pita bread friendly, what can I say short you ’ ll need for one.!

croatian spinach pita

Gtx 1080 Water Cooling Kit, Pointer Puppy Training Kit, Oxford Physics Textbook Answers, Papa Murphy's Crustless Pizza, Common Law Marriage States, Ny Mini Humbucker,