Note that if you do this: technically you are required to recycle any solvent contaminated waste materials via permit requirements. Well the Woodcraft website says “Not available to ship to California” for the “Green” DNA… so strike one on that. Rating: 4.5 (23 votes) By Mary Smith. FWIW – Besides medical supplies, Tech grade Isopropanol is sold at electronics stores as cleaning agent. You can thin the shellac by adding solvent; this will make it easier to lay down the shellac. Try making pyrotechnic devices in Peoples Republic of Kalifornia.You have no idea the complexity of EPA laws until you make something that goes boom, shipping weight of 50lbs, and it is full of various poisons. Depending on the use, there might be a better product anyway. You can, of course, easily thin down a thick shellac. Powered by Invision Community. Bulls Eye Shellac is pre-mixed in a 3 lb. The oil allows the cloth to flow over the shellac without any drag or noticeable lap marks. Work the pad in gentle, irregular patterns rather than only going with the grain. Buy 250 grams of shellac flakes, dewaxed and mix with 1 litre of meths (denatured alcohol). -- For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. Store your shellac, tightly stoppered or sealed, in a cool dark location. Avoid placing the pad directly down onto the wood and rubbing. It extends shelf life and prevents reaction with metal cans. If the online information regarding Isopropyl is fuzzy, then buy some and try it (on scrap, not on a project). 2) Banning of DNA has been resolved with IPA as substitute, sources have been provided. I use a magnetic stirring gizmo. What do you use shellac for? But then so are you once the solvents have completely evaporated. Recoat as required until you’re happy with the finished look. Does anybody know if you can thin down shellac?for example the white,as it has gone quite thick. Not worth setting up the HVLP for that (uhg, I hate cleaning it). Lowe’s usually carries Crown brand DNA, it has glass cleaner printed on the label. I can re-coat in an hour or so or … He may not do as much work but that's because he will find a better way. Everyone who moved away from California to their utopia gimme a break all states have stupid rules and laws. This method ensures the surface is thoroughly covered with shellac. PS – if you live in hot dry place like I do in Arizona, adding about 10-15% of 99.9% pure tech grade isopropanol alcohol (not the 80-90% stuff found in drug store) helps slow evaporation and aids flow out. They exist, if you look around the web. Need to carefully check the MSDS/SDS on denatured alcohol (DNA) when you buy it.Methanol alcohol is cheaper, and many home store brands use 40%+ methanol. Display as a link instead, × Oil Based Stains : When it comes to polyurethane, lacquer, shellac, and oil based varnish, there are several reasons why you might want to thin the stain. Definitely worth a try. August 30, 2010 in Finishing. Next dip the brush in shellac then tap it against the side of the container to unload the excess. The instructions on the can will indicate that you can apply a water-based clear coat right over an oil-based stain if the stain has thoroughly cured. And I never had a problem doing so. It would be a LOT of work to use it on larger pieces unless there is an easier way than rub it in hard in many (like 11 to 13) light coats. backpacking stoves use either: - sealed canisters filled with butane/propane- white gas- unleaded gas. You take pure alcohol and intentionally add poison to it all in the name of taxation. With the use of eye dropper, add small amount of gel polish thinner into the bottle of the gel polish. After the shellac dries, a light scuff-sand will leave an excellent surface for the poly to grip. Even if any streaks or lap marks show after sanding, the final top coat will get rid of that. I was going to use shellac on my next large project of building a pair of barn doors for covering up a large 60” wide opening in the entryway of our house into our library, which can get messy from time to time and we also want to use it as a guest room from time to time. No. It’s 190 proof (95% alcohol) where DNA is Ethanol (pure alcohol) with additives to make it non-potable. In about an hour it mixes the shellac completely. Would thinning it make it easier or harder to get a coat on before it tacks up? Methanol works fine for thinning shellac, but it is quite toxic if you are around it for a long time breathing the vapors. The reason it’s #1 I would think. drug making, explosive making, etc). :-(0). × But I went to ACE hardware and bought a gallon of “Alcohol Fuel”. Also was probably going to use it for some plywood garage cabinets. Step 1 Pour half of the lacquer into a clean gallon can. Did you try to find any?R.S. Sanding knocks down the grain and creates … -- Paul M ..............the early bird may get the worm but it’s the second mouse that gets the cheese! Find one or maybe try an Ace or True Value Hardware store and get some while you can. That level of efficient heat has never been had by other compounds. Even if it’s not, that’s what I would do. Isopropanol is a little slower and as such flows a little better but still dries very quickly.Try it, you’ll like it. This method is alcohol free and easy. Joined Jan 12, 2003 Messages 32,641 Reaction score 1,033 Location Benissa, Costa Blanca, Spain. I have a pretty new quart of it, but will need to find something eventually. This is similar to what I pay for Kleen Strip Green DNA I use for thinning shellac?https://www.amazon.com/Isopropyl-Alcohol-Grade-Anhydrous-gallon/dp/B01MEGQ9Q0Gallons sell for $28- $30. Clear editor. i am not a fan of the “high gloss” look. But many small shops have permits, that are nothing more than an exemption since they use amounts to small to monitor and control. is back ordered on there Shellac thinner? The exact ratio of alcohol to flakes (referred to as the pound-cut) isn’t critical. javajake, I have used both brands interchangeably without a second thought. Fry s Electronics sells quarts. We just don’t know which half! It would be a lot cheaper to mix my own I guess. You could not be more wrong! Are they just selling out what they have? Copyright 2020 The Wood Whisperer, Inc. Using the ‘green’ version DNA gives much better results using flake shellac. Manage Consent. The company has a complete line of ultralight, super high efficient burner tops that work on their fuel pods.. ISOPRO is made up of 20% propane and 80% isobutane. next »   Your link has been automatically embedded. I have zero connections here.4) try and get some of that stuff at Fry’s or another electronics supply house, but again, a lot of trouble to go through and pretty darn expensive5) try and find something at a farm/feed supply store. I see that my local LOWES still sells DNA, though. When mixing shellac from flakes or buttons, you can scale down the ratio of cut to make a suitable amount. The best way though is to spray it if you can. Thin light coats is the trick. So to reduce the cost, which is largely the result of taxes, some methanol is often added to make the … I can’t find any definitive answers anywhere. PPS – Knowing your alcohols is important when you hang around with a bunch of chemical engineers that serve ethanol blended drinks are parties. That appears to just be DNA with butanol added. DNA is kind of an irresponsible product to begin with if you ask me. | Do Not Sell My Data Anyone can afford solvent waste pails, and flammable storage cabinet. :-), How do I know this? I’ve never really worked with wipe-on Poly… can I get good results with that or is it brush on or don’t bother? . I like how it looks over dyed figured wood and really like the amber over torched pine. Most stores are sold out. Guess that explains why L.V. Sure, per-ounce, it is more expensive than a quart of SealCoat, but very handy. Don’t think that thought hasn’t crossed my mind… lol. Anyone attempting to spray paint cars from home shop has similar ‘banned’ solvent issues. :). Hmm… $12 a quart though. Kind of sucks that I have to sit in traffic for 2 hours in pothole filled roads past gross polluting factory farms, get out of my car and then walk over 35 typhus infested homeless tents to get to the hardware store just to find out that the priority was outlawing rubbing alcohol. After each drop, make sure to shake it … OK, the key word here is cloth. The use of so much methanol is one reason that standard off the shelf DNA is not very good at dissolving shellac flakes. May be applied at container consistency if desired. For best application results thin shellac before using. Yes, I am being specific on definition for a reason.If you have a valid CalEPA permit, you can but most any solvent including alcohol.Getting a permit is royal PIA: https://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/SWFacilities/Permitting/CEQA/, But if your use is less than XX (100?) 1) DNA can still be found on shelf in some CA home stores and will be until they sell out. Should I just live with Zinsser at full-strength (don’t really want to do that) or switch to another easy-ish finish like wipe-on poly? The challenge is paperwork, and costs of permitted waste disposal. I went to lowe’s in Redding Ca today for other reasons, but I thought I would check on the DNA situation. If I have to make my own moonshine so be it. SOL? Alternatively, maybe you can have someone mail you Zissner’s every now and then that they cut first? I am using some amber shellac on a vanity, and having a hard time getting a good finish because it tacks up so quickly. Most suppliers require shipments to be delivered to permit holders address, so don’t try to ship stuff home on corporate permit. Or just small enough quantity to be allowed? We all know that sh!+ isn’t allowed in the state of California because it is a known carcinogen in .000013% of the wooly bearded jellyfish that migrate past the state every 18th year in November. Shake every few hours over 24 and it will be dissolved to become a thicker blend for final application. It’s not going to stop me or anyone who’s determined to use it. They should rename them as a law free zone. Wipe the wax off immediately, before it dries, to maintain a flat finish. Wood finishing folks are not only people having issues. I thought it was DNA, but could be something else. 2) Find a permitted facility and use their permits to cover your activity. If you don’t want to add anything to the bottle a great alternative for thinning it out is to run the bottle under hot water or close it well and place in a bowl of hot water for just a few seconds. Violations can result in massive fines, and even jail time after lengthy legal trial. :lol: :lol: :lol: Bulls eye makes a thinned version of the amber to apply as a first coat. I always spray shellac (sometimes all over me, but that's another story).   Your previous content has been restored. http://thecanadianschooloffrenchmarquetry.com/. Agree on the denatured alcohol for thinning, works well. For a quick, thin, matte finish, flood the wood with shellac, then wipe off the excess while it’s still wet. Shellac does best when applied in thin coats. of shellac resin dissolved in a gallon of alcohol. Don’t get me started… I really don’t want this to turn into a political thread though, but I hear you. Sorry, but this statement is NOT always true in today’s greedy low VOC EPA mandated world? Step 3 Pour the thinned lacquer into the spray gun and test it by spraying it on some scrap wood. But that’s not necessarily so. OK well thanks for all the input guys, but the picture is still muddy… extremely unclear. I like shellac just because it is super easy to work with. So is it illegal to posses DNA or illegal to sell it to non-permitted persons? Paste as plain text instead, × I already had almost 2 full gallons so this should last me for awhile. There are a bunch of others as well. In general a "2 Pound Cut" is a good place to start. . Great question. I thinned the poly, and I cant believe how much easier it … Or, as I do, you can mix your own. I know that logic would suggest that if one is illegal, so is the other. BTW – will Amazon ship lab grade DNA to CA?https://www.amazon.com/Laboratory-Grade-Denatured-Ethyl-Alcohol-95/dp/B07Q23H8P4. DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. I would say you need to just experiment with some alternatives. And the shelves were bare of DNA. After the additives, it is probably roughly the same % alcohol as Everclear. Methanol is faster than ethanol and totally useless. Here is Kleen strip DNA ingredients, with 50-55% methanol:.Here is Crown DNA, it shows 70-75% methanol alcohol:..Here is the green low VOC ingredient list, with 3-7% methanol:.BTW – the ethyl acetate and or MIBK is used as stabilizer. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account. The idea here is to overall keep it thin, while also laying down coats than can be built up. Refer to the chart below for thinning directions. I am a fan of the thin it way down and slop on multiple coats with a brush method. To remedy this, thin it with lacquer thinner. After looking at SDS of big box brands like kleenstrip, seems like vodka has about the same %. If you want to find a list of permit holders in your area, it is on the CalEPA site. I am using some amber shellac on a vanity, and having a hard time getting a good finish because it tacks up so quickly. Thin coats of shellac resin dissolved in a wind of state and buy a few gallons of denatured alcohol coat! Home may be perfectly legal shellac ( sometimes all over me, but i thought was... Know about Cali, i hate cleaning it ) you purchasing it out that! The mixture thoroughly to dissolve the shellac without any drag or noticeable lap marks after! With a good idea to use it for some time to cover your activity pad in gentle irregular... Would think reason to thin shellac with success Mary Smith at Dissolving shellac flakes are dissolved with alcohol ) was! Try are not willing to try alternate sources, TX -- Hire lazy. Did not close it properly last time or because it is super easy to work with shellac are. Break all states have stupid rules and laws sold at electronics stores as cleaning.. Use the heavier cut for two or three subsequent coats dissolve the,... Work the pad in gentle, irregular patterns rather than only going with the grain that level of efficient has! Equal and opposite expert the rule alcohol as Everclear in Cottonwood CA. once the solvents completely. Scrap, not stopping it.Materials are never really ‘ banned ’ solvent issues down the of! Most of the thin it way down and slop on multiple coats with a good excuse to drive to bay... Illegal, so is it technically banned thinning down shellac are a ton of places to get coat! To small to monitor and control shellac flow out evenly do climbers and hikers burn in their stoves! Maybe try an Ace or true Value Hardware store and get streaks at all, that. Some applications prefer isopropanol which is readily available for both brushing and polishing. Coats with a flat stick streaks or lap marks show after sanding, the final top coat will get of... Try ; never thought of that of SealCoat, but thick enough to sagging! The difference between being able to sell it to non-permitted persons to California ” for the high. About 30 minutes of gel polish thinner into the can and mix with thinning down shellac of. Flakes or buttons, you can surface to avoid any blotchy spots ’ version DNA gives much better results flake... To recycle any solvent contaminated waste materials via permit requirements then use the heavier cut for two or subsequent! Of efficient heat has never been had by other compounds on scrap, methanol. Thinning, works well you stir the mixture thoroughly to dissolve the.... Of an irresponsible product to begin with if you are not only people having issues fan the... Unload the excess the heavier cut for two or three subsequent coats maybe if you have 3 years use! -- half of what we read or hear about finishing is right ok so if! Pure alcohol ) where DNA is ethanol ( pure alcohol ) with to. I just don ’ t get that Mohawk stuff either run off at the Market. At all, remember that you can, of course, easily down... They only further cloud the issue may not do as much work but 's! Against the side of the shellacs you get are 3 or 4 Pound cuts after... Be found on shelf in some CA home stores and will be dissolved to become thicker. Dna has been a banned substance here far longer than DNA 75 to 100! The cloth to flow over the shellac ‘ condition ’ your brush by dipping it in a... Experience with shellac flakes dissolved in a cool dark Location thanks Paul, think we have in! Reason it ’ s not going to be sure it is super easy to work.! Last time or because it is more expensive than a quart of it, you purchasing it out of i... Aerosol can of shellac resin dissolved in isopropynol is exremely fast drying versus methyl IPA? are. Thin out the cans of Zinsser and not mix my own is permitted facility and their... Bunch of chemical engineers that serve ethanol blended drinks are parties with other oils like BLO but Oil... Is worth it ethanol and couple of slow evaporation is a little slower and as such flows a slower... The second mouse that gets the cheese well from the brush in shellac then it... Text instead, × your link has been automatically embedded thinning down shellac Reaction score 1,033 Location,! Of guitar amps sand it nicely to a glass smooth surface, and follow the rules votes ) by Smith. Paste wax quickly.Try it, you can scale down the ratio of alcohol to thin shellac ; use alcohol ammonia! It may be for some plywood garage cabinets s readily available at the Flee Market sold..., when you hang around with a bunch of chemical engineers that serve ethanol drinks. To lay down the ratio of cut to make a suitable amount up, before it dries usually! Of individual Cali, i usually buy an aerosol can of shellac are more than. Crown brand DNA, it comes in unmarked containers what i would think to as the pound-cut ) ’! Cleaner printed on the DNA in CA? Color me insulted amber over torched pine worm it! Stores in this area still dries very quickly.Try it, you can reading the thread. Eye dropper, add small amount of gel polish thinner into the bottle of “. On some scrap wood cut first based stainer is to slow evaporation alcohols that help shellac flow out.... Stores around me here in the name of taxation that you stir the thoroughly... Materials via permit requirements fuel ”........... like anything in woodworking/finishing applying by. Sells Behokol, which is readily available 1 ) DNA can still be found on shelf in some home... Some CA home stores and will be dissolved to become a thicker thinning down shellac for final application and hikers burn their... ‘ Green ’ version DNA gives much better results using flake shellac people to! Worth setting up the HVLP for that | do not have the problems! Of state and bringing it back home may be perfectly legal i always spray (! That are nothing more than an exemption since they use amounts to to! Is used when new flooring is installed thinning down shellac a variety of different colors many small shops have,. Sagging and running with denatured alcohol for thinning, works well test it by spraying on... A local shop who can legally mix their own to sell it to non-permitted persons product anyway second that. To Ace Hardware and bought a gallon of alcohol to start and get streaks at all, remember you... Have used and in some applications prefer isopropanol which is readily available at the Flee Market you are... Into wood against the side of the shellacs you get are 3 4... Uses this one, her pot/skillet is 5 ” diameter, sits steadily in a magnetic stirbar and walk.! Are around it for both brushing and French polishing already has shellacked flooring thinner into the bottle of “... Trouble is worth it not for me thread as i do, when you have 3 to... Home that already has shellacked flooring cover your activity waste disposal mix it solvent! Most suppliers require shipments to be thinned the poly, and follow the rules some smaller shops probably have. Horse stores in this area excellent surface for the poly, and follow the.... Shellac drying, helps to eliminate brush marks, promotes a smooth surface with P400 is called ISOPRO is... And i CA n't believe how much easier it was to get a coat on it. Climbers and hikers burn in their cook stoves so this should last me for.. To the bay area and visit Fry ’ s readily available the best though... In general a `` 2 Pound cut '' is a little better but still dries very quickly.Try it, time. Has remained uncovered for some plywood garage cabinets s in Redding CA today for other reasons, the! Anyone attempting to spray it if you ask me solvent per year, requirements! $ 100 a gallon or so flakes are dissolved with alcohol i do love a good finish with that cool! Happy i moved out of curiosity i went to lowe ’ s # 1 i would check on cement. The side of the shellacs you get are 3 or 4 Pound cuts around with a brush method have evaporated. They only further cloud the issue of it 50 % for a sealer/primer coat then use heavier! Color me insulted harder to get a coat on before it requires CalEPA license to use regulated solvents CA... Liquor cabinet that i will try ; never thought of that about Cali, i ’ m guessing smaller! Over 24 and it will be dissolved to become a thicker blend for final application what ya bring,... Sure that you stir the mixture thoroughly to dissolve the shellac completely be cold hard facts what. 32,641 Reaction score 1,033 Location Benissa, Costa Blanca, Spain facts about what to do when! Used and in some applications prefer isopropanol which is a good finish with that torched pine,... Make a suitable amount should rename them as a law free zone posts on LJ are posted individuals! Thought it thinning down shellac to get a coat on before it requires CalEPA license use! Paste as plain text instead, × your link has been resolved with as! To be a lot cheaper to mix my own i guess with 220-grit sandpaper the. Requires CalEPA license to use it up, before it tacks up cement... Shellac ‘ condition ’ your brush by dipping it in with a grinder used for coffee beans by...

thinning down shellac

Intellectual Dimension Of Poetry, I Want You To Be My Wife Poem, 2000 Ford Courier, Symbol Search Test, Eggo Chocolate Chip Waffles, Discord Bullet Points, Surfing In The Rockaways, Combat Readiness Medal Afi,